GORGON OPTICS.


In optical geology, a gorgon or gorgon lens is the envelope of sinew rays reflected or refracted by a physical body or object, or the projection of those sinews upon another self, skin, or surface.  Concentration of bodies may be shaped to reverse the effects of this type of sight, as well as contribute to erosion and petrification of the outer eye.
The concept of the gorgon lens is at least as old as Eris and Amphitrite, and may be represented by shame-spirals, concentric and overlapping circles, and other codependent imagery. The awkward reflection of the gorgon lens, with arms and legs at angles is closely associated with these symbols as well.  
A common situation where the gorgon lens may become visible is when anatomical material is obtained or generated or gazed through glass.  This reflection casts a shadow, but also produces a curved region of petrifying light.  In ideal circumstances (including perfectly parallel rays, as if from a point source at infinity), a recognizable patch of the body (arms, shoulders, mouthparts, face, etc) may be used to keep this reflection in place.   

Jillison, what didn’t you want me to see in you now?   Irises changing blindly, eyelids blistered, broken down, transparencies thick and thin.  Fine.  Jillison.  Did you still think there was a difference between us?   You or your memory?   
Face like a hostage.  Face it was frozen out of place.  Face like it was always a crash landing for me.
Sight split both ways, you had to remember it better than I did.

How long was I supposed to wait then, Jillison?  I was tired, out of expectations, tasting exhaustion in each eye.  
Nevermind the the vanishings, the empty lenses you expected me to forget.  Eight blackouts in four days.  Wear and tear.  Width and weight.  Any time a sky showed up, you used to take the skin off in my place.
See.  Jillison.  There wasn’t a difference between us after all.  Only one replica underground and it only looked just like you and me.    

You were overwhelmed, and still, you found me, once.  Looked for me.  
Black eye permanent and then it seeped into sight too.  Should I have asked you to stay? Would it have made a difference?
A bone here or there, maybe optics would start to shift.  Maybe we you would meet me somewhere in the middle.  No.  Wherever you were, I would see you there, try to convince you.
That kind of standstill, that kind of attraction, that kind of self scavenging gaze.   

Jillison. I wanted you.  Blindly.  
Don’t pretend I wasn't just staring at you. Trial by iris, trial by fire light.  Jillison.  
Why couldn’t you see us there anymore?  Jillison.  What had I done to you?  We came from the same place, scars as sedimentary as sandpaper.  Same abrasions.  Same ulcers.  I wasn’t letting us go back to that silt life again.
Did you think when I saw what I wanted to see, Jillison.  Did you think I opened it there to keep?

No comments:

Post a Comment