ONCE UPON A METEOR RIOT.


         A meteor riot is a large-scale, temporary act of chaos or disorder caused by the collision of celestial objects (silicate minerals, ionized coding, encrypted and metallic material) upon the continental anatomy.  Riots often occur in reaction to perceived disinterest, loss of attention or attempted retreat.  Targeted areas may vary depending on terrestrial development and the inclinations of those involved.
         Few meteor riots are organized or concentrated enough to create meaningful change upon the continent.  Instead, they typically arrive at the surface of the skin at their terminal velocity and, at most, create a small pit.  Although the extent of the crater will depend on the size, composition, degree of fragmentation, and incoming angle, the psychological (political) and physical (economical) effects of a meteor riot may still cause widespread distress.
         While a riot may initially be sparked by a specific event, scholars, commentators and commissions have identified a number of celestial and continental conditions that may underlie these uprisings.  These conditions are frequently associated with self-decay of a society or continent, and often include: poor healthcare, poverty, desperation, mineral loss, loneliness, instinctive inadequacy, co-dependent pressures, or any combination broken from the above.


         A meteor riot may last as long as there are still mistakes for us to learn.  Mostly melodramatic, maudlin, underimaginative, I knew that much about myself by then.
        When we met I should have warned you, sutures, yes, always hungry, yes, barely ever go home.  Track marks on top of track marks, asterisks of flesh itching or missing or mostly gone.
        You can crater a sky by coming too close to it.  Even if the past has yet to make its impact, even if you wait there, ready for it to crash.

        The term cryptoexplosion (or cryptographic cemetery) indicates a collision of unknown outcome and effect.  The term is now largely obsolete.  It was once commonly used to describe sites where there was evidence of a large-scale impact upon the anatomical surface, but no definitive evidence of an enduring crater.
        Although the tectonic processes of the continent quickly destroy much of the cryptoexplosive record, at least one impact site has been partially identified and described.

        We kept getting younger everywhere but on the outside, it was that kind of continent again.  Finds and then falls and then fragments.  I was close to forgetting we even met at the end.
        Expectation can become its own kind of sickness, almost contagious but never strong enough to save us.  You said you could recognize the conditions of it coming towards you immediately.  Lips tight against teeth.  Organs turning over and over.  A whole stare where half words once were.
        What would you remember about me?  Only an outline to you.  Mostly transparent.  Would you remember me at all?
        Parallels will pull apart when they strike a shard of glass.  Withholding, it’s a type.  A common weathering to cover a crater’s edge.

        Have I given you my reasons yet?  I wanted to tell you.  No one else has to know.
        Liked the way you kissed me, liked the cartilage you called your voice, liked the bruises you broke through my skin.  Liked the codes you wore and the escape clause you kept from view. Lost them all from the original and still I hoped to understand you.
        One night.  Leave a mark on something, maybe.  One night.  A meteor riot, measured only in missteps.  Less and less the later I went back to it, but most likely that was right.
        Acted reckless, acted helpless, acted like I was still a continent behind.  Desperate and selfish.  Are those excuses?  Refractory elements?  They aren’t good enough.

        The air was all dust, the best I could do was stop there instead.  Not because I was afraid of what you would say, not because I knew the absences that always came after.
        Felt the blood conversion, the back away asymmetry, a cautiousness in clear view.
        Watched you carry your past behind cuts of sky.  Behind gravity (the remaining angles of it).  Soon I knew the shadow of us would be there too.         Who or what is Jillison?  I didn't know how to answer you.  I tried to ignore the later stages, the layers of velocity, the resolutions I should’ve known by then.
        Didn't intend for (romantic) attachment? Had to remember that's how it always happened. A mirage of warm blood and by morning, gone again.

        You said most outcomes are over before they occur, a meteor riot may have one, or two, or many causes.  I tried to stay there with that.

        Here is what you taught me to remember.
        Fragile as ash fall and anyone could be just like us.  An attempt, not an accident.  Atoms against atoms, all light is the afterlife of mass.  No impact left to tell, we were hardly there at all.         Faceless and leftover and forgotten easily.  I wished I could remember why it mattered to me. Shock stage.  Strewn field.  It shouldn't matter to me anymore.         You called us a replacement of clear tells, a temporary instinct until the intensity was gone.  You told me you had a system, a forensic meteorology to forget the feel of it.
         
         What remained when the dark was near? Another disappearing proof.  A decay from one night to the next.  Doubt (miles of it).
         I had to remember you were accurate about most things, distance especially.  You followed principles without repeats, mapped imperatives and templates, calculated machine languages for a living.
       You didn't say it was a labor in data, an analytic exercise.  You said the beauty of infinity was building it a body again.

         Crater glass may be formed from the silica of the continent as a result of cryptoexplosions or temporary collisions.  Commonly, the glass will appear hazel, dark brown, white or black.  Internally it has a texture defined by elliptical lines or distant entanglement.
         A possible explanation for these chemical differences is that, in addition to being mainly composed of meteor riot components, the glass may also contain a mixture of unexplained metamorphic effects.


        What was I thinking when we said goodbye?  Are you going to try and make me say it here, again?
        Magnetic susceptibility.   I missed you.         Tectonic deformation.  How could I think I missed you?         Overburden pressure. Shouldn't have looked at you like that, like you hadn't figured me out already, like I couldn't have just asked you what you wanted (if anything). Melodramatic, maudlin, under imaginative. Kept making the same mistakes somehow.        Vertical stress.  Still didn't understand how an impact could come that close and still not last.
        A skyful of craters and by summer's end I knew you were right, any one of them could take my place, any one could be just like me.  I gave it a week, and then a few weeks, and then I told you what I thought you wanted me to say.
       Once was enough, always and only.  The rest I can see through or the rest you can keep.

1 comment: