WISH UPON WILLING CHRYSALIS.


          In Western Hestia, a wish upon a willing chrysalis was a supernatural demand placed on a recipient undergoing memory transformation or unconscious metamorphosis.  The belief that blessings could be granted through enclosure came from the understanding that skin was a scarce commodity, a preparatory shelter, or had been placed upon the body as a source of possible atonement. 
          Expressed invocations within the chrysalis may have lasted weeks, months or even entered dormancy until the appropriate season or stage of advancement.   In Western Hestian climate, many desires stayed inactive through the vernal season, while in South Hestia they usually did so during the sleepless cycle.  Certain longing may have lasted in a comatose state throughout the length of the continent, hiding within a hard protective coating to evade potential predators.
          Upon exit, an uncontested or willing desire generally emerged as a liquid, sometimes called “ fulfillment”, which softened the shell of the chrysalis.  Additionally, two sharp hooks located at the base of the request could be used to sever the sheathing inside.  The finalized wish may have appeared solid or unstable, opaque or translucent, of various colors, or composed of multiple layers, depending on the types of memory killed within the casing or overcome upon completion.

          Cut through that chrysalis you confessed for them, all those nevers and maybes you couldn’t stop collecting.
          Read your needle twitch, your “tetanus shot”, your target practice therapy.  Tried to put a pin in each excuse like it was a missing specimen, like the pack of them would be extinct by the end of the night.
          Yes, fine, tell them all that bullshit again.  You had a life before this.  Take it.  Stay the fuck away from me.

          Memories are trapped using funnels, pitfalls, malaise netting, bottleneck interceptions and other types of passive traps, some of which are baited with small bits of sensation (such as a wish, when formed, or a want, once found).
          Want (as a general preference) versus want (as a statement of an action).  Two very different definitions for the same word.

          You hid yourself in a language under glass, called it all a metamorphosis, but I know what you meant Jillison.  That's not what happened.
          Wings or not.  Chrysalis or not.  Summer or not.   I never asked you to protect me, I never asked for that. I just wanted you to feel vulnerable for once.  No.  I just wanted to forget you.
          Jillison,  if you only wanted me as an unname, tell me, what had changed at all?

          Another recovery to nowhere from an abscessed war, another addict's shelter not worth letting my guard down for.
          Don't lie to them.  Don't you dare to try and convince them there was a coming promise, a peripheral meaning to be pulled back or peeled away.  I lived through your incarnates Jillison, I knew how you kept yourself secret. 
          Black eyed permanent, believe me now.  I won't be your abuse of corpse anymore. I know you didn’t leave any of it here on purpose.

          Do I need to make this simpler?  Could I?  Jillison, do you really think it mattered who was willing or when?   Another consequence of covering your tracks in cracks of glass, I could you see up close and all too clearly.
          Avoidance was your warmed over armor (ongoing and without adaptation.)  How long had you let it fight alive in your place now?  Blood loss in a crowd, yes.  Dried lips underground, yes.   Stitch-work swollen or stolen entirely, veins open and closed and always alone with you.
          Placement of a trap was all we had left to tell.  Transverse orientation, everything else too plain to touch.  Not nearly willing enough, so you said it would be perfect.

          Remember who you were before?   Temporary pins and proper needles, I wish I didn't.
          Watched you work over a dead moth’s flame, wearing only wallpaper skin, strips of mold and sweat.  If it could be called a chrysalis at all, then a desperate one, defenselessness, hungry, decaying, and alone.
          You still want me to honest? Jillison, I didn’t even need a wish.  You never trusted me, I never trusted you.  Cut you open like a child from a cocoon, knew you would be the easiest kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment